Custom Search

To advertise on this site email advertise@goatnetworking.com

Wireless Voice in a Warehouse on a golf cart

Site Admin

Wireless Voice in a Warehouse on a golf cart

Postby admin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:33 pm

Wireless Voice in a Warehouse on a golf cart, or moving fast, is very difficult to get working well.

I have found it very difficult to get the Cisco 7921G wireless phones to be reliable in a warehouse with shelving and product to the ceiling. Employee's riding golf carts while using the phones add to the challenge.
icon

Here are a few tips and tricks to get it to work.

1. Every drive aisle needs to have line of site to an access point, or constant roaming from AP to AP will cause the voice to drop out.
2. Where possible, lower the AP as low as it can go while still being above the client.
a. Place AP’s below Drop Ceilings
b. If in open area, fabricate a bracket to lower it closer to the ground.
3. Have all of the AP’s in a section on the same controller if there are multiple controllers. For Example: All of building 1’s AP’s should be on the same controller.
4. Use 8 channels, configure the Cisco 7921G to only scan those 8 channels. (This is very important)
a. 36,40,44,48,149,153,157,161
5. Use RRM for channel allocation.
6. Set the power level to 1 on the 5GHz radios (Full Power).
7. In open areas, do not over populate AP’s. Too many possible AP’s to roam to with similar signal strengths can cause roaming issues. The phone works best if it can connect to an AP and stay on it for a while.
8. Make sure your controllers are configured for roaming between each other. If this is not setup, the phone will drop every time it roams to an AP on the other controller.
9. Data Rates to use with voice over wireless (WVOIP)
a. Disable 6,9, 48,54
b. Mandatory 12, 36
c. Supported 18,24
10. Enable Client Link

Don't forget to configure QOS on the wired network. Here are some example configurations on Cisco Switches that may help you.

I would like to know other things to change to make wireless VOIP work getter in this type of environment.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions!!

If you found this helpful, help me by checking out the advertisement below. Thank you!

Re: Wireless Voice in a Warehouse on a golf cart

Postby panzera » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:01 pm

If you have WCS in your environment, you can run the voice audit tool. The voice audit tool checks your controller configuration against Cisco best practices. Any configuration that isn't relevant or deviates from the suggested best practices gets flagged. I recommend running this tool and then looking up the best practice in the "Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7925G Series Deployment Guide" to understand why it is required.

Return to Wireless

Twitter Facebook