Custom Search

To advertise on this site email advertise@goatnetworking.com

What product for high density 10G?

Product comparison or why you feel one product is better then another.
Site Admin

What product for high density 10G?

Postby admin » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:47 pm

If you need a switch with a ton of 10G ports along with 1G ports, What product are you going to pick?

What are you using? What do you want to use? Why? Let us know!!!!

Site Admin

Re: What product for high density 10G?

Postby admin » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:35 am

At the time of this response this post has about 2,000 views.

Lets hear what your thoughts are regarding 10G products!!!

What are you using? What are you looking at? What's good? What's bad?

Here's my opinion.

Cisco 6500/7600 --> With SUP720, it doesn't give enough line rate 10G ports. 2-1 or 4-1 over subscription has burnt me in the past because there is no way that I know how to identify an over utilized ASIC.

Nexus 7010 --> N7K-M132XP-12 - 4-1 oversubscribed. At the time we were looking at it they had another blade with less over subscription but it needed to be in it's own VDC and we needed to upgrade the fabric modules to use it. When in it's own VDC, I would have over subscription issues going to the other VDCs.

Brocade MLXe --> 8-port line rate cards (NI-MLX-10Gx8-D) work great with NO over subscription. The problem is port density in the chassis. We have a 16 slot chassis (They make 8,16,32 slot chassis), but that is filling up fast. The 24-port line card (BR-MLX-10Gx24-DM) has 24 ports of 10G, but if you have it in a chassis with 1 Gig line cards, only 13 of the 24 ports run at line rate, (2-1 Over Subscribed). Once again, an ASIC doesn't tell you when it's fully utilized.

Return to Product Selection

Twitter Facebook